Sharon M. Shields, Ph.D. - Superintendent of Schools
Dr. Shields was appointed as the La Vega ISD Superintendent on July 11, 2006 and began her term of service on October 1, 2006. Dr. Shields received her Doctorate of Philosophy in Curriculum & Instruction from Texas A&M University in 1993, Masters of Education, Mid-Management Certification, and Counseling Certification from Baylor University in 1983 along with a Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education from Baylor University in 1980. She is a former La Vega ISD educator and counselor.
Since the early 1980's Dr. Shields has been a strong, confident educator and leader, guiding children to achieve and believe that each individual can and will succeed. As a former counselor, she brings guidance and direction for our students. As a former principal, she brings additional leadership and determination to help children succeed through targeted studies with emphasis in mathematics. Dr. Shields has also served as a Middle School Principal in Waco ISD where she provided outstanding leadership skills.
Dr. Sharon M. Shields was hired in July, 1999 as Executive Director for Instructional Services. She pulled together the District's instructional and instructional support programs and improved the effectiveness and efficiency of the instructional departments. Student performance has improved, and the District received its first "Recognized" campus and District accountability ratings from TEA in 1999-2000, and its first "Exemplary" campus ratings (both LVPS and LVES) in 2005-2006. In 2010, La Vega Elementary School was honored to be named a National Blue Ribbon School.
Dr. Shields has devoted herself to organizing, monitoring, and providing leadership on a daily basis, and has demonstrated that she can motivate our personnel to work together to improve teaching and student performance. Dr. Shields is highly respected by staff members and the Board for her ability to research and implement new ideas and strategies. She served as Assistant Superintendent for Instructional Services from 2002 to 2006.
Honors and activities include:
- Received the Omnicron Upsilon CHAPTER Citizen of the Year Award during the 2021
- Achievement Week of The Omega Psi PHI Fraternity, Inc.
- Finalist for the Leading Waco Women's 2021 Athena Leadership Award
- Chosen "Women of the Year" by the Bellmead Chamber of Commerce 2017
- Serves on the Prosper Waco Board of Directors
- Serves on the MCC Foundation Board of Directors
- Serves as a Co-Chair on the Education Committee for the Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce
- Serves on the Project Link Oversight Committee for Prosper Waco Serves on the Leadership Waco Program as the Superintendent Representative
- One of the Top Five Finalists for the TASB Superintendent of the Year 2011
- Education Service Center Region 12 Superintendent of the Year 2011
- Serves on the TASB Supplemental Employee Benefits Board
- Serves on the Advisory Board of Directors for Pack of Hope
- Served on the TASA Executive Committee
- Serves on the Board of Directors for TAMS Past President of the YMCA of Central Texas
- Serves on the Executive Board of the Bellmead Chamber of Commerce
- Serves on the Board of Directors of the Heart of Texas Community Health Center, Inc.
- Serves on the Board of Directors for the Cooper Foundation
- Waco Delegate, President's Summit for America's Youth - 1997
- Principal of the Year, Waco ISD - Selected by the Superintendent - 1995-1996
- Earned her Superintendent's Certification from Tarleton State University
- Chosen "Women of the Year" by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
- Served as Board President for the Doris Miller Branch - YMCA
- Participated with the McLennan County Youth Collaboration Supports the Safe Kids Coalition
- Served the Junior League as a Community Advisor
- Kappa Delta Pi - Baylor University
- Phi Kappa Phi - Texas A & M University
- Phi Delta Kappa - Baylor University
- Scottish Rites Fellowship - Waco, TX
- Minority Fellowship - Texas A & M University